Congratulations on being accepted into the Pioneer Valley Symphony Youth Orchestra!
This is your member area, where you can do the following:
♦ Check the rehearsal schedule
♦ View the Code of Conduct
♦ Read the Participation Guidelines
♦ Learn about Chamber Group opportunities
♦ Find out about the benefits of being a PVS member
♦ View the Youth Protection Policy
♦ Download the Youth Participation Form
A note about string seating:
Each and every member of the PVSYO, no matter where they sit, is an essential member of the team. In order to give our students the opportunity to experience the orchestra from a variety of different perspectives, we rotate the string seating between concerts. Inevitably, because not everyone can sit at the first desk, most students will sit at the back of a section at some point during their time in the PVSYO. Seating is NOT a competition, and sitting at the back of the section emphatically does NOT mean that we think a student is a weak player, or that he or she is less important to the ensemble.
Each student’s seating in the PVSYO is carefully determined so as to provide the optimal learning experience for him or her. In order to create a strong and well-balanced orchestra, we seat both more and less experienced members throughout the orchestra–in the back, in the front; in the first violins and the seconds. No matter his or her seat, every member of the Orchestra is subject to the same expectations, and is offered the same opportunities for demonstrating leadership and for personal and musical growth.
Rehearsals are every Saturday at Greenfield High School, 21 Barr Avenue, 1pm – 3pm. Rehearsals for the current season are listed here.
Be sure to bring a pencil, your music (if it has been sent to you), and a snack for your break. Only water is allowed in the auditorium.
- Musicians are expected to be respectful and supportive of one another, and to behave in a way that promotes teamwork and collaboration.
- In the interest of promoting a productive and respectful learning environment, disruptive behavior during rehearsal will not be tolerated.
- Tardiness and early dismissals from rehearsal are disruptive and will not be tolerated.
- A musician is considered tardy if not in his/her seat and ready to play by the time the tuning “A” is sounded.A good rule of thumb is to arrive a minimum of fifteen minutes before the scheduled start of rehearsal. Remember, “to be early is to be on time!”
- Excessive (i.e. more than three) rehearsal absences may result in removal from a concert. Attendance at a dress rehearsal is absolutely non-negotiable. Students must be present at the dress rehearsal in order to perform in the concert.
- Musicians MUST bring their instrument, their music, and a pencil to rehearsal, as well as any accessories (mutes, valve oil, extra reeds, etc) necessary for participation in the rehearsal. While not required, bringing a tuner and metronome to rehearsal is highly encouraged.
- Musicians are expected to arrive at rehearsal with their part prepared to the best of their ability. This means that they are expected to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE outside of rehearsal! Failure to adequately prepare for rehearsal may result in dismissal from the orchestra.
- Musicians must notify the PVSYO office, 413-773-3661 or email@example.com, prior to any absence (please include the reason for your absence). If the office is not notified in advance, that absence will be considered “unexcused” unless it is an emergency. In cases of illness or family emergencies where advance notice is not possible, notify the PVSYO office, 413-773-3664 or firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- Inclement Weather Cancellation Policy: The PVSYO will leave a recorded message regarding cancellation of a rehearsal at 413-773-3664 at least three hours before the scheduled rehearsal. If you provided an email address to PVSYO, you will receive an email notification. Notice will also be posted on Facebook and on the home page of this website.
- Please sign up for Attendance Duty, once per semester. There will be a clipboard at the first rehearsal with the Attendance Duty sign-up sheet. Please include your name, email address, and telephone number on the sign-up sheet. The responsibilities for Attendance Duty are to make sure each student signs in before entering the auditorium for rehearsal. Also, no one is allowed in the hallways or corridors, so it is the responsibility of those on Attendance Duty to remain at the rehearsal to monitor the lobby and to make sure no one wanders in the hallways or corridors. The attendance sheet will be collected by a PVS staff member at the end of the rehearsal.
- Concert dress: White collared shirt, black pants or skirt, black socks or tights, black shoes, colorful tie for the boys. If you need assistance getting the required concert dress, please contact the PVSYO office, 413-773-3661 or email@example.com.
- Participation Form: All participants must submit a completed youth participation permission form. Please download it here: Youth Participation Form
Youth orchestra members and their parents are part of the PVS family, which means you get the same benefits we give to our orchestra and chorus members. These include:
- Member prices on Season Flex Passes and Single Tickets
- Opportunity to attend PVS board meetings and the annual meeting
- Opportunity to volunteer at PVS concerts as an usher—and get free entry to the concert
- Invitations to members-only social events
In addition, youth orchestra members may attend all PVS concerts FREE OF CHARGE.
To volunteer at PVS concerts, contact Susanne Dunlap, PVS managing director.
For your convenience, PVS accepts tuition payment via credit card using the secure form below. If you have any questions about payment options, please email us, or call 413-773-3661.