POSITION OPENING: Administrative Manager
The Administrative Manager serves as the main point of contact for the Pioneer Valley Symphony (PVS), ensures smooth day-to-day operations for the PVS and takes on special projects to support the work of the PVS Board of Directors and staff. This position works closely with the Board of Directors, staff and community membership to implement the PVS’ vision and improve the PVS’ capacity to achieve its mission.
- Managing main office email, mail and phone correspondence, ensuring professional, timely, and efficient communication
- Managing calendar of all ongoing projects for organization-wide collaboration and ensuring tasks are being completed on time and at the highest quality
- Managing and performing significant work on annual projects necessary for general operations, marketing, fundraising and orchestra programming and events.
- Administrating and updating website and social media platforms with current information, monitoring online content
- Preparing information for board meetings, including monthly reports of progress
- (In coordination with the Financial Administrator and Finance committee) Ensuring that all financial questions are shared immediately with the necessary constituencies and followed-up on; ensuring that all venues, ringers and artistic personnel contracts are properly recorded and paid on time
- Keeping shared electronic files and PVS hard copy archives in good order
- Recruiting, overseeing and stewardship relationships with community volunteers for support with office, marketing, concert logistics, and more
- Managing the PVS physical office, including communication with landlord, maintaining inventory of storage and filing rooms, and purchasing office supplies
- (In close collaboration with the Fundraising Committee) Managing and implementing (including reporting, printing and mailing) annual fundraising strategy, appeals, and campaigns
- Tracking deadlines for, drafting and submitting grant requests and reports for local grants and cultural councils
- Managing and implementing online fundraising campaigns (GivingTuesday and Valley Gives)
- Updating donor records
- Sending timely donor acknowledgments
- (In close collaboration with the Marketing Committee) Managing and implementing the PVS’ marketing and outreach, including online, social, and print materials
- Drafting, editing and sending ads, brochures, press releases and other electronic and print communications
- Tracking and supporting the securing of advertisers and sponsors, managing confirmations and follow-up
- Managing media relations
- Managing social media promotion and outreach for fundraising, marketing, and recruitment
- Booking rehearsal and performance venues for the season
- Managing concert and event logistics, including vendor recruitment and stewardship
- Following up with soloists and venues to finalize contracts
- Coordinating soloist travel and accommodation
- Organizing the production of the concert program books
- Managing the box office for all concerts, including sales of tickets and timely reporting
- Organizing volunteers for box office, ushering and concessions
- Supporting the production of the annual education concert and materials
- Oversee and record acquisitions of music and licenses
- Experience and ability working independently as well as collaboratively
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, orally and in writing, demonstrated with community, volunteers, and coworkers
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with artistic personnel, board members, administrative staff, soloists, musicians, patrons, corporate and individual donors, the music community, volunteers, the media, and the audience
- Extremely detail oriented, with strong initiative, problem-solving skills and innovative thinking
- Track record of taking initiative and of accepting responsibility for seeing all aspects of workflow through to completion
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and deadlines, working effectively under time constraint with flexibility and imagination
- Facility with technology and aptitude for learning new skills; experience with databases, email, and social media platforms
- A car and valid driver’s license is required
- A 4-year college degree plus at least 2 years of applicable work experience or equivalent applicable work experience
- Background in classical music or the arts; knowledge of orchestra management or arts administration/operations experience
- Experience working in a community-based organization, small nonprofit, and/or in community organizing
- Experience managing interns and volunteers
- Experience with marketing, fundraising, videography, or graphic design a plus
- Fluency in WordPress, Little Green Light, Google Suite
The Administrative Manager position is a full time, exempt position based in the Pioneer Valley Symphony office in Greenfield, MA. Some weekend and evening work is required to provide support for key rehearsals, board meetings, and concerts.
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- 10 sick days, of which 2 may be personal days
- 9 federal and Commonwealth holidays
- Salary range: $30,000-$33,000, depending on applicable experience
At this time, no health plan is available through the Pioneer Valley Symphony.
Submit a resume, cover letter and three professional references (or two professional and one personal) with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org . Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Application review will begin on November 3.
POSITION OPENING: Arts Administration Intern
We have an opportunity for a student to join us for the summer to learn about arts management, advertising, event planning, fundraising, and more. This position offers the intern to experience the many different tasks involved in running a classical performing arts organization while also tailoring the work to match the student’s interests and skills. The PVS Intern will have the opportunity to work alongside our Administrative Manager, as well as to connect with the musical directors, other administrative staff, members of the board of directors and key volunteers.
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Contact local businesses to solicit ads for our programs
- Researching and strategically contact new advertisers or sponsors
- Event planning
- Work with the Administrative Manager to organize, promote, staff and report out on our annual Summer Sings.
- Work with Chorus Director to organize Chamber Choir performances in the Valley, including reaching out to venues, creating promotional materials, and tracking performer’s attendance.
- Assist Administrative Manager with fiscal year end mailing and messaging
- Assist with end of year donor recognition and stewardship
- Other administrative tasks
The PVS intern will also work with the Administrative Manager to develop a substantive independent project tailored to their interests and skills, such as creating a marketing, fundraising, or social media plan for the 2018 fiscal year.
This is an unpaid internship.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work independently and as a collaborative team member
- Ability to work well under pressure and able to manage competing priorities and deadlines effectively
- Detail oriented, strong initiative and problem solving skills, and innovative thinking.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships diverse constituencies
- Facility with technology, including experience with databases, email and social media platforms, and webpage editing
- Experience with music or the arts, fundraising, videography, or graphic design a plus
Please send resume, cover letter and names of current references to:
Pioneer Valley Symphony
c/o Beckie Markarian
91 Main Street
Greenfield, MA 01301